Thursday, January 23, 2014

i HAVE BEEN SEPERATED FROM MY HUSBAND FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS NOW. I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, HE HAS MOVED TO NEVADA. OUR CHILDREN ARE OVER THE AGE OF...

Question

i HAVE BEEN SEPERATED FROM MY HUSBAND FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS NOW. I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, HE HAS MOVED TO NEVADA. OUR CHILDREN ARE OVER THE AGE OF 21 AND WE HAVE NO PROPERTY ETC. I JUST WANT MY NAME BACK.

A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I PAID $100.00 FOR FORMS THAT I GOT ON-LINE, I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE VERY SIMPLE TO GET A DIVORCE THIS WAY, BUT THE FORMS WERE COMPLICATED AND I WASTED A HUNDRED BUCKS.

SHOULDNT SOMETHING LIKE THIS BE VERY SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

SINCERELY, TRACY STRICKLAND



Answer

You would be filing a standard divorce action. The filing fee for the petition is around $395. It would be wise to discuss your legal options with a skilled family law attorney to be sure you have not overlooked assets or liabilities. If your marriage was a long one, you may be entitled to some portion of a pension or retirement.



Answer

"How to do Your Own Divorce in California," Nolo Press. www.nolo.com It would probably be a good idea, however, to at least hire a "consulting" attorney under a limited scope representation agreement, given the jurisdiction issue due to his move to NV.



Answer

I agree with both of the previous responses. Additionally, you can find all the forms you need for your divorce, in a fillable format, for free at the California Court's website. Paying $100 for those forms was a rip off.



No comments:

Post a Comment