Monday, February 23, 2015

I am 22yrs old and my 17 year old half sister lives with our dad and her mother in Los Banos, CA and I live in Sacramento,CA. She recently c...

Question

I am 22yrs old and my 17 year old half sister lives with our dad and her mother in Los Banos, CA and I live in Sacramento,CA. She recently came out to them that she is lesbian and since then they have completely isolated her-no access to phones or ffriends or family members- they only let her go to school. They have been verbally and mentally abusing her and at one point even hit her. My question is legally what rights does she or I have to get her out of there and come live with me? I know emancipation is an option however, I heard this can take a long time and she turns 18 in June and also she does not have a job and cannot provide for herself- but I can. I just need to know if there is anything I can do to remove her from them before June 2012.



Answer

This is a sad and tragic situation. What your half sister is experiencing is abuse and prejudice against a gay person. You can consider filing a request for guardianship to have your sister placed with you. Please call a local chapter of ACLU to see if they have attorney resources that can help you with this legal action. You should also consider asking for child support until she reaches 18 or up to the age of 19 if she is still in high school.



No comments:

Post a Comment