Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Im in california, my 8 month old son has my last name, his father has asked that the name be changed to his, my question is if the courts or...

Question

Im in california, my 8 month old son has my last name, his father has asked that the name be changed to his, my question is if the courts order that his name be changed and i ask for our childs name to be hyponated like (first name- bentley) middle-james) (last-thomas) and hyponating the fathers name (brummitt) can I use only 1 of the last names instead of both? does it matter what last name comes first like (thomas-brummitt or brummitt-thomas?



Answer

With a name change request, if nothing else, the court usually will hyphen the last name, including the last names of both parents. Most likely, the court will leave the name as it exists and simply add, after the hyphen, the father's last name. As to what name you use for all purposes, that is a personal choice, although, from what I have seen, most will use the first of the two names, as hyphenated, for most purposes (although there is no legal rule for that). Good luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment