Saturday, January 31, 2015

my child is 17. his father and I were never married. I started getting child support when he was 4. the father and I were together until the...

Question

my child is 17. his father and I were never married. I started getting child support when he was 4. the father and I were together until the child turned three. At the time I did not file for the back child support because the father promised to always be there for him and help us out. That hasn't been the case. My child now has severe issues b/c he doesn't know his father. He has depression and social anxiety disorder. He is a year behind in school b/c of this. Can I get the first 4 years of child support retroactive ? I didn't ask for it at first b/c I believed this man would be part of my son's life and help us. He is very wealthy (the father). Is it too late to get the 4 years he never paid for? My son is not going to be out on his own any time soon ...he is under therapeutic care and on medications.



Answer

I believe if your son's father is wealthy you need to file for Modification of Child Support and ask for medical reimbursement as well as increased child support to cover the period he could have paid for.



Answer

If you and the father were together until the child was three, you would not be able to get child support for that time period. You can file a Supplemental Petition to modify the support and extend it past the age of 18.



No comments:

Post a Comment