Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I am currently stationed in California on Active Duty, but I was married in Illinois. My husband and I agreed to divorce in June, and physic...

Question

I am currently stationed in California on Active Duty, but I was married in Illinois. My husband and I agreed to divorce in June, and physically separated in September. We have no children, and have already come to an agreement on debt and personal property. Which state should I file in?



Answer

If you have been living in California for the past 6 months, you may file in California. I recommend that you consult with a California family law attorney before taking any actions.



Answer

As you are in the military you can file in California or your home state of residence. Where you got married is not relevant to where you file for divorce. Make sure you get an explicit waiver of your military pension unless you plan to divide it.



No comments:

Post a Comment