Friday, August 22, 2014

If me and my wife have no kids, no property or anything of value between us two and have been separated for at least three years, How can I ...

Question

If me and my wife have no kids, no property or anything of value between us two and have been separated for at least three years, How can I get a speedy divorce that doesn't cost me two much like under two hundred dollars?



Answer

You can't.

What you can do is go to the courthouse and get some free forms for filing your divorce, serving your wife, and preparing a final decree. You won't have to incur any legal fees.

But your filing fees and service fees will be in the $300 range--or more. If she's willing to sign a waiver of service, you can get it done for just the filing fee, which differs by county, but is usually in the $250+/- range. (Attorneys who claim to do divorce for $300 or so will also charge you extra for the filing fees, so that puts you in the $550 to $600 range.)

The minimum amount of time you have to wait is 60 days from the date you file your petition for divorce.



No comments:

Post a Comment