Friday, January 23, 2015

I am a 53 yr old African American woman being forced to quit mt job. The company says it's going in another direction and my job was fazed o...

Question

I am a 53 yr old African American woman being forced to quit mt job. The company says it's going in another direction and my job was fazed out. I was told I have 30-45 days to work in my prsent job, but am being offered jobs way below what I was making. Due to my age and this economy I can't be without a job, the company knows this but I agreed to take a lesser paying job but the company wants me gone and is now refusing to left me take the lesser paying job, it appears they want me gone. Since I've signed a confidentiality agreement,how can I protect my rights because something is definitely going on that I'm not aware of.



Answer

This sounds more complicated than can be properly addressed in this kind of on-line forum. That being said, you definitely should consult an attorney - and being in Chicago you can contact the Chicago Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. There's the EEO too, but that directly would probably take more time. You definitely have the age factor as a possible issue, but that is also fact-dependent especially if the employer is generally reorganizing. You don't seem to be suggesting there is a racial component, but without more information that too can't be ruled out. As to the confidentiality agreement there may be ways of bargaining for it to be lifted but that too needs more facts. The fact that they are offering a job at lower pay could suggest a couple of things: they are afraid you will raise the age or race issue (or other issue), or they are sincere and don't know what else to do. While I'm not trying to make apologies for your employer in any way, some employers definitely are having difficulty keeping things going without staff changes and if they have been "loyal" in the past this may be their unsophisticated way of trying to deal with the situation. Definitely spend the time with an attorney to have him or her understand all the potential relevant facts.



No comments:

Post a Comment